Whether you have straight, sleek hair or thick curly ringlets, everyone needs a basic hair care regimen to ensure that their mane stays healthy and strong. This universal rule is the answer to all your major hair woes and with the right hair care tips, you can easily turn things in your favour. But the countless “hair tips” and millions of suggestions on the Internet can get quite confusing. So, to help you find your way through the plethora of information available, here are some essential hair tips that work for everyone irrespective of their hair type:
Hair Care Dos and Don’ts
Dos of hair care
- Always brush your hair before you shower Don’t underestimate the power of a hairbrush. Irrespective of your hair texture, you need to brush your tresses for at least 60 seconds before taking a shower. It’s safer to brush the knots from your hair before a shower, because removing tangles from damp or wet hair can cause breakage.
- Use lukewarm water to wash your hair The idea of taking a hot water (read scalding) shower sounds tempting after a tiring day. But it also causes hair damage, strips your hair of its natural oils and leaves it duller and drier. So, let’s find a middle ground and settle for lukewarm water. It is equally relaxing and cleans your hair without damaging it.
- Always condition your hair (correctly) One of the simplest, yet most overlooked hair tips is to use a conditioner after shampooing. To prevent your scalp from becoming greasy, skip the roots and apply the conditioner from mid-lengths to the ends. If you have fine hair, conditioning the roots can weigh your hair down and make them look lifeless.
- Always protect your hair before styling Heat styling gives great results and comes to your aid when you are pinched for time and need a quick fix. However, this can also cause damage. So, here’s what you can do— spray some heat protectant before you straighten or curl your hair or blow-dry it.
- Keep your hair hydrated Hydration is the key to great hair (and skin). So, if you want happy and healthy tresses, follow this essential tip for good hair— give your locks an intense dose of hydration. Do not slather coconut oil on your hair in a bid to keep it moisturised; instead, choose a leave-in cream that nourishes your hair throughout the day. Whether you have curly or straight hair, leave-in conditioners are a boon for your thirsty tresses.
Don’ts of hair care
- Don’t dry your hair with a towel One of the easiest hair tips to protect your mane is to avoid drying your hair with a towel. Towels can be a bit harsh to your delicate tresses and cause breakage. Instead, use an old cotton t-shirt and wrap it around your head to dry your hair. It’s gentler than towels and will prevent breakage.
- Don’t style damp hair One of the most important hair tips is to stop styling your damp hair. Imagine listening to the hissing and popping sounds a drop of water makes when it falls on a sizzling hot pan. This is what happens to your hair if you apply heat to your damp tresses. So, wait till your hair is completely dry before you use any appliance.
- Don’t over-brush your hair Brushing your hair keeps knots at bay. It even stimulates your hair’s oil glands and leaves it looking nourished. But this works only when you practice moderation. Frequently brushing can over-stimulate the oil glands in the scalp and spread the sebum down the length of your hair, making it appear greasy. So, follow this healthy hair tip to keep them clean and beautiful.
- Don’t opt for frequent chemical treatments As much as you love experimenting with different hair colours, refrain from opting for chemical treatments. These procedures use chemicals that can strip your hair of its natural lustre and sheen, making it appear dry and dull.
- Don’t backcomb your hair Teasing your hair or combing the strands backwards add volume, but it also causes friction and hair knots. So, protect your tresses and refrain from trying hairstyles that involve backcombing.
What happens when your hair doesn’t get enough nourishment?
When your hair doesn’t get enough nourishment, it becomes clear in the form of hair care problems like split ends, dryness, hair frizz, dandruff, *hair fall, and dullness. Also, if you don’t wash your hair for prolonged periods, it can cause ingrown hair.
Now that you are aware of these universal hair tips, you’ll need to combine it with the right hair products to keep your hair healthy and strong.
Hair products for a good hair day
Are you looking for something that offers a gentle cleanse and nourishes your hair as well? Pantene’s wide range of shampoos and conditioners are here to help.
With 0% silicones, parabens, and dyes, the Pantene Micellar Rosewater Moisture Restoring Shampoo offers a gentle cleanse and keeps your hair hydrated till the next wash. This nourishing shampoo is infused with a Pro-V formula consisting of Pro Vitamin B5 and B3, antioxidants, micelles, and rose water extract from Rosa Galicia. Flaunt petal-soft, healthy hair with this micellar shampoo. For better results, pair it with Pantene Micellar Rosewater Moisture Restoring Conditioner.
You can also try Pantene Micellar Gentle Cleansing Shampoo that removes impurities and protects your hair’s natural texture. With 0% silicones, parabens, and dyes, it’s gentle for daily use. Plus, this nutrient-infused shampoo with a Pro-V blend of Pro-Vitamin B5, antioxidants, sea salts and micelles, cleans and nourishes your hair, while preserving its natural appearance. Follow up this shampoo with Pantene Micellar Gentle Nourishing Conditioner for hair that’s strong, soft, and free-flowing.
Reverse the signs of damage by creating a hair care regimen that consists of these beauty tips for hair and nourishing products from the Pantene Micellar Series.
*All references on this page refers to hair fall or hair loss due to breakage.